Focus: The Lost Sheep Among Our Families and Neighbors
- Below is a template to help guide your time. You are welcome to use whatever is helpful and pray as God leads you.
During the song, take time to connect with God’s heart-who He is and what He does and focus on His presence with you.
Song: Reckless Love
God’s Character: This week as we pray for our families and neighbors who don’t yet have a relationship with Jesus- take time to focus on who God is as a Good Shepherd-
- His Sacrifice: We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. -Isaiah 53:6
- His Pursuit: What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? -Matthew 18:12
- His Delight: And if it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that have not gone astray. -Matthew 18:13
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. -John 10:11
Take time to thank God for the sacrifice He made on your behalf and for your own salvation-
- What has he saved you from?
- What has he saved you for?
Take time to confess any areas of sin God brings to mind and ask Him to give you clean hands and a pure heart (Psalm 24). Trust that as you confess any areas of sin that He is faithful and just to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
- Jesus, I confess that I have often gone my own way instead of following your leading as my Shepherd. Forgive me for my pride in not trusting your guidance. Please give me the grace and strength to obey what you are asking me to do and to trust your great love for me.
Pray for those you know personally-family members, co-workers, neighbors, teachers, etc. who don’t yet have a relationship with Jesus.
Below are a few starting points to help guide your time:
- Pray that today they would hear God’s voice and not harden their hearts, but would respond to His invitation into a relationship with Him
- Pray their eyes would be opened and they would turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins -Acts 26:18
- Pray for the prodigals who have wandered away, that they would return home to their Father -Luke 15:11-32
- The parable of the soils (in Matthew 13:3-9; Mark 4:2-9; and Luke 8:4-8) can be a helpful guide in praying for the heart conditions of those who don’t yet know Jesus:
- Seed that falls on the path-pray they would receive the truth of God’s word and they would not be deceived by the hollow and empty philosophies of this world or any of the schemes of the enemy to lead them away from the truth (Col 2:8)
- Seed that falls on rocky ground–pray that as they hear God’s word the roots of their faith would grow deep in his love and that trials would not uproot their faith (Eph 3:17-19)
- Seed that falls among the thorns– pray that the things of this world would lose their power and allure and they would see the worthiness of Jesus as a Good Shepherd and choose to lay down their lives to follow Him
- Seed that falls on good soil–pray the Holy Spirit would prepare their hearts to hear and receive the truth of the Gospel and they would respond with joy and bear much fruit
Pray and ask God how he is at work in the lives of those you are praying for and how he may be asking you to participate with Him in leading them into a relationship with him.